Visit us on Hyena Cart

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Simple and Delicious = A Keeper

A few weeks ago I had so many vegetables in my fridge, I thought it might explode.  I didn't want the produce to go to waste, so I decided to get creative and see what I could come up with. This is one of the recipes.

These are surprisingly good.  So surprising in fact, Ze-Ra didn't even know there were olives in them and she hates olives...well she ate them for lunch at school twice and went on and on about how good they were.  It wasn't until last night at dinner that she exclaims - there are olives in here?! How dare I stoop to such trickery....and not list every ingredient in every recipe to her ;).  Whatever...she digs 'em. :)

When I made them, I put them in the freezer to keep as a just in case kinda thing.  Well, I pulled them out on Monday because we didn't have any food in the house from being gone over the holiday.  They are good cold for lunch and they were awesome last night for dinner!

Stuffed Shells from The Hive

What's In It:
1 box jumbo shells, cooked according to package directions
8 oz feta cheese, crumbled
3 bell peppers (I used one each of green, yellow, and orange). diced
1/2 c sliced black olives
1 medium onion, diced
14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
1 t oregano
1 T lemon juice

What To Do With It:
Prepare shells according to package directions.  Drain and gently toss with olive oil to prevent them from sticking together.
Combine pepper, olives, and onions on a baking sheet and roast in the oven at 400 degrees F until tender, maybe 20 minutes - just keep an eye on them.
Combine roasted veggies, tomatoes, lemon juice, oregano, and cheese.  Stuff into pasta shells.
You can stop here and enjoy them "al fresco" or you can pour some of your favorite spaghetti sauce into a dish, nestle in the shells, and simmer until heated through.  

No comments:

Post a Comment