Visit us on Hyena Cart

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Tomato Soup Mac & Cheese

I am a tomato soup snob.  I don't mean to be, but I am...and I blame Super Mom. :)  Super Mom spoiled us rotten when we were kids with home made everything.  I say that, but I don't think you understand....I didn't even know that you could buy tomato soup or jam in the store.  I didn't have store bought of either of those until college (and boy was I glad we had homemade!).  I was so jealous of the kids that had kudos bars or star crunches in their lunch boxes, I mean here I was with homemade cookies or chocolates...man I had it rough.  

When she did buy store bought stuff, even then we were spoiled.  We would only occasionally have mac and cheese but when we did, you could bet it was going to be Velveeta Shells and Cheese.  I don't know what kind of crazy chemical concoction they put in that weird cheese product, but man....there is nothing like it...well, almost. :) 

So, imagine your most favorite tomato soup all hot and steamy from the stove and then pair it with the all time best comfort food of grilled cheese. Now imagine it in one dish...stock full of creaminess and cheesiness, and that rich tomato flavor....sigh.  
Tomato Soup Mac & Cheese

What's In It:
1 lb pasta (I use bow-tie or shell)
1 qt tomato soup*
2 c milk
8 oz cream cheese
10-12 oz shredded cheddar
1/2 t garlic salt
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t mustard powder

What To Do With It:
Boil pasta for 1/2 the recommended time.  Drain and return to cooking pot.  Mix cream cheese into hot pasta.  Add everything else.
Pour into a baking dish. This fills my 9x13 baking dish to the brim.  I have also halved this recipe and it was worked great as well, but our soup comes in quarts, so I usually just make the full batch.  

Bake at 400 degrees F.  40 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered.

*Be sure you are using a very tasty soup here.  It will make up a good portion of the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment