Visit us on Hyena Cart

Saturday, July 13, 2013

German Potato Salad

Alright.  We admit it, we BROKE OUT THE BACON!!!  I have been saving 3 packages.  One to make German Potato Salad and the other 2 to make BLT's.  I couldn't take it anymore and on Wednesday I used up the potatoes I got in the reclaimed produce box and I made the best German Potato Salad I have ever had! :)

When I was browning the bacon, Te-Man was happily playing in the living room and he stops what he's doing all of a sudden, whips around towards the kitchen and says "Bacon? Bacon! BACON!!!" and comes running full speed into the kitchen and then proceeds to chant Bacon Bacon Bacon until it is done. :)  He ate probably 1/4lb of bacon - it was ridiculous!

So I found this recipe over at A Feast For the Eyes.  Her site is great - you should totally swing over and check her out! I have only made the potato salad, but if her other recipes are only half as good as that one, we'll all be set! :) You should at least swing by and read this touching story about her mom and this potato salad - so sweet! You can also find her on Facebook.
German Potato Salad
What's In It:
1 1/2 c red onion,  finely chopped
1/2 lb bacon, browned and finely chopped
5lb potatoes, boiled, skinned, and sliced 1/4" thick
2 c vinegar*
2 T bacon grease
1 t dill, heaping
1/2 c rice vinegar
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 t sugar
1 1/2 t kosher salt
1/2 t freshly ground black pepper

What To Do With It:
Combine all ingredients together, gently.  If you can, skin and slice the potatoes while they are still warm so they soak up more of the seasonings.  Allow to set at least 30 minutes before serving and serve at room temperature.

*I used white but if I'd had red wine vinegar, I'd definitely have used that.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking my recipe to my blog. It looks like you did a great job! Debby, A Feast for the Eyes

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was good but way too much vinegar. I recommend using 2 tsps.

    ReplyDelete