Visit us on Hyena Cart

Monday, April 22, 2013

Pumpkin Bread

I did not have high hopes for this bread.  I made some significant changes to the recipe and to be honest, I was planning on pitching it.  Boy was I wrong and relieved too....I used my second to last bag of NC Candy Roaster pumpkin to make this bread and I would have been so sad to have wasted it.

This stuff was delicious!  Wolverine scarfed down 2 pieces, Te-Man was running around the house holding his piece singing "dessert bread", Ze-Ra and I didn't really do anything of note, we were too busy stuffing our faces!  :)  The bread is a smidge dryer around the edges and really moist in the middle.  It isn't dry in a bad way, just enough to make you appreciate the extra moist inside.  ;)

I would say that if you aren't needing/wanting to make this recipe plant based, you could totally make it according to the original recipe, but I would still suggest adding the additional spices.

The orginal recipe calls for walnuts, but I don't like walnuts and usually substitute pecans....but I didn't have any pecans (I placed our monthly Nuts.com order on Monday and it hadn't arrived just yet).  So I was perusing my cabinet and it seemed that the least amount of work would be to take my homemade trail mix and pick out the whole almonds and banana chips - leaving sunflower seeds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, dried cherries, and dried cranberries.

When I make this again, I won't change a thing.  YUM!

Pumpkin Bread
What's In It:
2 c whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c oat flour
1 c brown sugar
1/2 t nutmeg
1/2 t cloves
1/2 t ginger
1 t salt
2 t baking soda
2 t cinnamon
2 c pureed pumpkin (I used homemade candy roaster pumpkin, but canned would also work)
1/2 c oil
1/2 c applesauce (I used homemade unsweetened)
2/3 c coconut milk
1 1/2 c nuts/seeds/dried fruit/coconut

What To Do With It:
Grease and flour 2 loaf pans
.
Mix dry ingredients.  Add wet ingredients and mix until combined.  Stir in nuts/dried fruit by hand.

Distribute evenly between 2 loaf pans.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Remove from oven and cover with aluminum foil for 10 minutes.

Remove foil, run a knife or spatula around the edges of the pan, and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't made pumpkin bread in forever! I need to make this soon...looks yummy :)
    Thank you for linking up at Share Your Stuff Tuesdays and sharing on your FB page..I appreciate!! Hope to see you again next Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete