Visit us on Hyena Cart

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Plant Based Grape Nuts

We LOVE our cereal around here, but I don't want to buy a bunch of processed stuff from the store.  We really try hard to eat most of our food as close to it's original form as possible - but sometimes, you just need some cereal. :)

Here is the link to my first post of the recipe (it uses regular milk and AP flour).  

The plant based friendly version still tastes delicious!  The color is noticeably darker and I did find I needed more vanilla, but there hasn't been a single turned up nose or complaint around the Hive, so I'd say we have a winner. :)  

What's In It:
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
2 c oat flour
2 c almond milk (unsweetened) 
2 T lemon juice*
2/3 - 1 c brown sugar (to taste)
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
3 t vanilla

What To Do With It:
Preheat oven to 375 Degrees F.  Combine all ingredients until smooth.  Pour into a greased or lined cookie sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Cool a few minutes in the cookie sheet, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely, 4-5 hours. 

Once cool, crumble into small pieces.  I used to use my food processor for this, but I had to do it in so many batches that I finally decided it wasn't worth the hassle and just do it by hand now (bonus - less dishes to clean up!). 

Spread crumbles evenly onto 2 cookie sheets (I fold the "cake" in half and crumble each half directly onto the cookie sheet).  

Bake at 300 degrees F for 1 hour - stirring and rotating cookie sheets every 20 minutes.  Allow to cool completely (I just leave them out overnight) before placing into storage container.    


*I usually do 2 T of lemon juice in the bottom of my measuring cup and then add almond milk to fill the measuring cup to 2 cups.  

1 comment: