Visit us on Hyena Cart

Monday, January 7, 2013

Homemade Grape Nuts

We don't eat a lot of cereal here at the Hive....not because we don't like it - we LOVE cereal!  We just try to eat less processed foods.  Breakfast around here is usually eggs, fresh juice, or smoothies and occasionally we'll have steel cut oats....but sometimes you just want some crunch in your breakfast! 

I can't think of a crunchier cereal than grape nuts! I've been making these for almost a year now and they never fail disappoint.  I'm not gonna lie, I had a bowl before bed last night - I couldn't wait until the morning! :)   
Homemade Grape Nuts
Original Recipe Here
What's In It:
3 1/2 c flour (white or whole wheat)
1 c brown sugar*
1 t salt
1 t baking soda
2 c buttermilk
2 t vanilla

What To Do With It:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Mix all ingredients together until smooth.  Pour into a greased cookie sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Cool a few minutes in the pan, then turn on a wire rack and cool completely.

Pulse in batches (usually about 3) in a food processor until crumbly.  Spread onto 2 cookie sheets.  Bake at 300 degrees F stirring every 15-20 minutes for 1 hour or until the cereal looks toasted.

Allow to cool completely - at least 4-5 hours, sometimes I just leave it overnight - before putting into an airtight container for storage.  I use these containers and they work perfectly!

*I think the cereal is a little sweet with a full packed cup, so I usually don't pack my brown sugar and that makes it just about right.  Also, if you're trying to watch your sugar intake, I have made this with 1/2 c brown sugar and it worked just fine. :)  Do what'ch'ya feel. :)

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! We're really trying to avoid processed foods too, but I crave the crunch of Grape Nuts. I'll be trying this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So excited to hear how it turns out! I hope you LOVE it!!!

      Delete
  2. We love cereal here and are trying to eat healthier, but hot cereal was getting old. Love that you posted how to make grape nuts. Now we can have a bowl of crunchy cold cereal....with or without bananas. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear you are all trying to eat healthier and I hear ya about hot cereal getting old sometimes...I love having options, too! Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your recipe! I can't wait to try this out this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna try this with coconut flour for us gluten free peeps. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete