Visit us on Hyena Cart

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Kale Soup

This soup is phenomenal!  I have been making it for about 2 years now and everytime I make it, I think to myself....why don't I make this more often!!!

Even my 12 year old nephew, who I would consider a non-adventurous eater, LOVES this stuff.  He ate 3 bowls and the only reason he didn't eat more is because we ran out! haha

This past time I made it, I used sweet potatoes because that's all I had on hand and I wanted to use them up since they were from this past year's harvest.

I don't think I'll ever make it with white potatoes again....the sweet potatoes added another little something extra that just put it over the top!

I have also made this with all types of sausage - usually just whatever I have on hand.  Andouille, chorizo, kielbasa, and most recently a Venison Kielbasa with cheese.  All have been FANTASTIC!  I'm telling you, this soup will not let you down.

So...make it with white potatoes or make it with sweet potatoes, make it with kielbasa, heck - make it with chicken sausage....just make it!

Honey Bee Hive's Kale Soup
What's In It:
2 T olive oil
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
3/4 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 bunch Kale, de-ribbed and chopped (about 3 cups chopped)
1 15oz can chick peas, drained
1 can diced tomatoes, not drained
1 lb cooked sausage
1 qt chicken broth

What To Do With It:
Saute potatoes and onions in olive oil over medium high heat for 5 minutes.  Add garlic and spices and cook 2-3 more minutes.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer just until potatoes are tender 20-30 minutes.  

We served ours with some warm crusty Roasted Garlic Potato Bread. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment