Visit us on Hyena Cart

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Finally I've Found It...

So, the other day, when I was talking about pumpkin pie and how I wanted to like it, but didn't really.  And then I proclaimed that I LOVE pie....well I'm starting to think that I was lying.  Maybe I don't actually love pie, I just love the idea of pie, and I want to love pie.  Well, maybe I am on a pie adventure and I will learn to love pie....one pie at a time.

Most of the time I don't like strawberry pie because the strawberries are either too raw or too cooked.  I feel a little like Goldilocks, but that's just the way it is.  This pie has the perfect mix of both!

Strawberry Pie
What's In it:
1 9" baked pie crust
2 1/2 lb fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/2 c white sugar
3 T cornstarch
3/4 c water
1 t vanilla (optional)

What To Do With It:
Crush roughly 1/3 of your berries with a potato masher.  Mix all the berries, sugar, cornstarch, and water together in a pot and boil over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes.
Cool in the pan for about 5 minutes, then pour into your baked pie crust.
This pie crust clearly isn't baked yet, but I wanted to include the picture.  It makes me want to play that crazy connect the dots into squares game....too many long car rides as a kid I think :)

Refrigerate until completely cooled or at least until pie is set, typically about 1 hour.  Serve with cool-whip...or without.  You know my feelings on that! :)

P.S. These strawberries were free!  How awesome is it to fill my family's tummies with delicious home-cooked food that would have otherwise gone to waste?! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment