Visit us on Hyena Cart

Friday, October 26, 2012

When You Have 8lbs of Okra.....

Slice and Freeze it! :)

A few weeks ago, I found myself knee-deep in Okra.  You won't hear any complaining here, but I also didn't want it to go to waste.  I thought it would be best if I found a way to freeze it.  I did a little online searching and found that it is recommended to blanch, slice, freeze.  So that's what I did.

What's In It:
Okra

What To Do With It:
Trim stems from Okra.  Be sure to trim as closely as possible to the stem.  You'll want to try not to cut into the seed cavity.  This helps to reduce the release of the okra ooze.  Notice I said reduce....

Drop the okra into boiling water for 3 minutes.  I would do this in batches to prevent too drastic a drop in temperature.

Remove from boiling water and immediately plunge into an ice water bath for at least 5 minutes.

Once they are cool enough to touch, slough through the okra ooze and fish out the okra.  Really this works best to just pour it into a colander.

Slice the okra in to 1 - 1 1/2" slices.  Whatever size you like best.

Arrange the slices in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze.


Once frozen, place okra in a freezer safe container or bag and sit tight till you are ready to enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment