Visit us on Hyena Cart

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

WOWZA - An Almost Free Dinner!

So, the new chicken scrap schedule is Monday and Wednesday and then some day later in the week - haha. Produce Guy's schedule isn't always the same, so I figure I can't be picky while getting free food and I'll adapt to his schedule.
Monday's goods were awesome!

3 bags stir fry veggies
7 bags lettuce
3 lb okra
1.5 lb sugar peas
3 organic beets
20 miscellaneous hot peppers
1 yellow pepper
2 heads romaine
4 heads red/green leaf
7 stalks rhubarb
1 bunch green onions
8 carrots
4 yellow squash
and a handful of cilantro

Yet again....THANK YOU Mavis!

Now...about this almost free dinner.  Total cost $4.00, cost per person $1.00

Fried Okra
    Okra - free
    Batter - free, gift from Super Mom (a.k.a. my mom)
    Water - essentially free
    Crisco - 2c $0.50   (I will reuse this oil, so I only counted half of it's cost, since I'll use it twice)
Jalapeno Poppers
    Jalapenos - free
    Sausage - 1/2lb $3
    Cheese - 1c $0.50
    Seasonings - essentially free
Corn on the Cobb
     Corn - free
     Butter - 2T pennies
     Garlic Salt - essentially free

It was so delicious!  Was even tastier by following it up with some Jicama "apple" pie for dessert...oh yeah, free jicamas! :)





 

No comments:

Post a Comment