Visit us on Hyena Cart

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pump Up the Jam!

You know how I love a little jock jams in my day!  So....
Are You Reeeaaadyyyyyy?!  

This past weekend I decided that while my Te-Man and Wolverine were snuggling out their nasty germs on the couch, I would put some of that free produce to work.  I had tons of hot peppers and rhubarb just sitting there begging me to turn them into yummy goodness - and so I, of course, obliged them with a smile on my face. :)

Rhubarb Cinnamon Jam

What's In It:
4 1/2 c prepared fruit (about 5 large stalks or 6 c chopped raw fruit or 1 lb 8oz if you like crazy exactness)
1 c water
1 box Sure Jell Reduced Sugar 
1/2 t butter (I left this out)
 4 c sugar
1 T lemon juice
1 t cinnamon

What You Do With It: 
Prepare your jars and canning pot.  Be sure to keep your jars hot either in hot water or in the heated dishwasher.

Chop rhubarb in a medium size dice (it really cooks down to mush, so the size isn't crucial).  Place chopped rhubarb into a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 min or until rhubarb is soft.  Measure exactly 4 1/2 c prepared rhubarb into a large pot.  

Stir in pectin and lemon juice.  If you are adding butter, do it now (Man, I can be bossy!).  Bring to a full rolling boil (that can't be stirred down) over high heat. Stir in cinnamon and sugar (I had mine measured out in a separate bowl so all I had to do was dump).  Return to rolling boil, stirring constantly.  Boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and skim foam if necessary.  

Immediately fill warm jars to withing 1/8" from tops.  Wipe rims and threads - clean and dry.  Cap, place in canner, ensure jars are covered by 2 inches of water, and process for 10 minutes.  Remove from canner and place on a heat safe surface.  Allow to cool completely.  Test center of lid - if it pops back, the jar is not sealed and needs to be refrigerated.     

I got 7 jelly jars per batch. 


Hot Pepper Jam


What's In It:
6oz hot peppers, stemmed and seeded
1 c cider vinegar, divided
3 c sugar
1 3oz liquid pectin pouch
Green food coloring (optional)



What You Do With It:
Prepare your jars and canning pot.  Be sure to keep your jars hot either in hot water or in the heated dishwasher.


Remove stems and seeds from peppers - wear gloves for protection if desired...or live on the wild side.  Place peppers and 1/2 c cider vinegar in blender and blend until desired consistency. I like chunks of pepper, hence Hot Pepper Jam.  

Combine pepper puree, 1/2 c cider vinegar, and sugar in a large pot.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Boil 10 minutes stirring frequently.


Add liquid pectin, return to a boil, and boil 1 minute stirring constantly.

Remove from heat, add 3-4 drops food coloring if desired.  Skim foam if necessary.


Immediately fill warm jars to withing 1/8" from tops.  Wipe rims and threads - clean and dry.  .  Cap, place in canner, ensure jars are covered by 2 inches of water, and process for 10 minutes.  Remove from canner and place on a heat safe surface.  Allow to cool completely.  Test center of lid - if it pops back, the jar is not sealed and needs to be refrigerated.     

I got 11 jars out of 3 batches, so just over 3 1/2 jars per batch. 



Enjoy!  Anyone know of a cheap place I can score more canning jars?  My stash is running super low and I know with the big garden next summer plus all this reclaimed food, I'm going to need MORE! 

No comments:

Post a Comment