Visit us on Hyena Cart

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Mmmm Mmmm Good

My poor family was stuck with a left over's night and I wanted to make it up to them by giving them a little something special.  A few weeks ago when I made the pumpkin pie, I was at the store and didn't know if I was going to need evaporated milk or condensed milk, so I bought both.  Turns out, I need evaporated milk and now I had a can of condensed milk in my cabinet and it was driving me crazy.

Ah ha! I can turn it into caramel!  But wait....it's so hard....I don't know if I'd be able to ever find enough time to get it done. This will be, hands down, the hardest recipe I ever tell you about.   *notice the extreme sarcasm*

Sweetened Condensed Milk Caramel
What's In It:
1 can of sweetened condensed milk

What To Do With It:
Put it in a crockpot, cover the can with water, and cook on low for 8 hours. 

SERIOUSLY, that's it.

Now, you can take it a bit further if you want to and use a plate, bowl, or cup to prevent any rust spots from forming on your crockpot bottom.

Or, you can be super crazy like I am and pour the milk into jelly jars.  
I did this for 2 reasons.  1. I am crazy and like I use my jelly jars for everything. Seriously, I will dice pepper and onions and store them in the jars. It's so pretty!  Which leads me to number 2.  I wanted to be able to see when the milk actually turned to caramel.  My crockpot is we'll say temperamental, and I wasn't sure how long it would actually take.
Now, you might run into an issue like I did and those darn cute jelly jars were floating! ACK! What do I do?  Well, I found the shortest "bowl" and wedged it between the lid of the crockpot and the top of the jelly jars. :) I just showed you jelly jar!!! 

Then, dip apples or graham crackers or a spoon or your finger......mmmmmmmmmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment