Visit us on Hyena Cart

Monday, December 10, 2012

Buckeyes....on steroids

This past weekend Hit Girl messaged me and wanted to know if I had Super Mom's recipe for Buckeye Balls.  Amazingly, I did not (I do now, she forwarded Super Mom's text) but it got me to thinking....I do like buckeyes, but there is always something missing.  I'm not sure if I've made it abundantly clear or not, but I am a crunch kinda girl.  A lot of times if I eat a meal that has no crunch, I'll go grab just one crunchy bite of something or other or else I feel like I'm just not done.  I have all kinds of weird stuff running around up in my head.... haha. :)

Anyway, I got to thinking that a crunchy buckeye would be perfect....then it hit me, pretzels, peanut butter, and chocolate - heck yes!  The recipe hunt was on - and it took all of about 3 minutes to find this one.

Ok, I didn't have enough peanut butter to make the entire 9x13, so I decided to just make an 8x8 but then realized that my 8x8 doesn't have a lid....in comes my tart pan that never gets used.  My pictures are definitely not as beautiful and professional as the original recipe, but I kinda think they turned out perfectly.  The filling to chocolate topping ratio was perfect and I almost put a padlock on the fridge to stop myself from eating them all.  I made them on Saturday and I've only had three - one that night and then these two. :)
Haha - I should earn a medal for self control ;)

Steroid Buckeyes

What's In It:
1 c peanut butter
3/4 c butter, softened
2 c powdered sugar
2 c pretzels, divided optional
1 1/2 c chocolate chips, divided

What To Do With It
Crush pretzels using a rolling pin or get cave man on it and use your hands like I did.  If you want to garnish the top with some crushed pretzels, reserve about 1/2 c.  Cream peanut butter and butter in mixer until smooth.  Add powdered sugar, mixing slowly until incorporated.  Add in pretzels and 1/2 c chocolate chips.  

Press into a greased baking pan of your desired size (8x8, 9x9, etc).  

Melt remaining cup of chocolate chips and spread over the top of the filling.  If desired, sprinkle with reserved pretzel pieces before chocolate cools.

Wait impatiently for the chocolate to cool....we put ours in the fridge. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment