Visit us on Hyena Cart

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Homemade Bathroom Cleaner

Anyone that has ever seen Pinterest has seen this pin. You know the one I'm talking about, the "miracle" tub and shower cleaner. :)

Well, I've been using it for almost 2 years and I have to agree - it works great! When I found out I was pregnant with Te-Man I decided that I shouldn't be using anything that has chemicals in it....or at least as few as I could.  I wanted to really make some changes, but I didn't want to sacrifice too much on the "it actually works" front.  So, I tried a few things for tub/shower/toilet cleaner, and I liked this one the best.  I haven't purchased a bathroom cleaner in ages!

Homemade Bathroom Cleaner

Equal Parts Blue Dawn and White Vinegar

I use 1 cup of each.

I measure out my 1 c vinegar into a 2 c measuring cup.

Heat in the microwave for 1 minute, then pour in the dawn until the liquid level reaches 2 c.  

Pour (using a funnel if you want) into a spray bottle.  

I have found that combining them in the measuring cup means less dawn goes to waste and I don't have to get out a spatula to make a huge soapy mess. ;) 

I spray it on, let it sit for about 10 minutes, wipe it off using a kitchen sponge, and rinse with water.  **Honesty alert: Depending on how long it's been since I last cleaned the shower, I normally can use the soft side of a kitchen sponge....sometimes when I've been lazy, I need to use the scrubby side.  But either way, I can't say I have ever had to use any amount of elbow grease to get things cleaned up. :)  

15 comments:

  1. This stuff really really works

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome lololol !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. This is all I use in my bathrooms now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it safe for fiberglass tub?

      Delete
  4. Is it hard to rinse off? I'm concerned about a huge amount of suds filling my sink or shower when I rinse it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fine for me, I thought the same but a few rinses and it was fine for me.

      Delete
    2. I had the same issue. Took the shower head to it

      Delete
  5. Hi there, thanks for the recipe, works great! I am starting a blog as well, would it be ok if I posted this on my blog as well? I would provide my own photo's of course. Thanks in advanced!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does it have to be heated to use it if there's some left in the bottle can I just reheat it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tried it, loved it. I like how you spray it on and leave, the blue from the Dawn stays on. So, you can see where you or not have wiped down. I used it on shower walls and bathroom sink. The smell of the vinegar is overwhelming, made me cough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw one recipe that used orange peels to help with smell.

      Delete
  8. I found this on pinterest awhile back and the post was removed so glad to see it again. The one I had also had the ingredient lemon juice as well as water to top it off. It had smaller amounts of each ingredient and to Anonymous the lemon juice may help with that vinegar smell. The acid in the lemon juice will also help with removing gunk I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love this! I am using it in a dishwand as well for quick touch ups. I honestly had thought I needed a new shower! When those products you need a gas mask to use doesn't take it off I wasn't expecting much from Dawn and vinegar... but I am now a believer!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete