Visit us on Hyena Cart

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

PB Banana Muffins

Sunday morning I needed something quick and simple after we'd been up past 2am Saturday night and who knew when all the sleepy heads would finally meander down the kitchen, so planning on keeping something hot was OUT of the question.  Eureka....muffins! . :)

I also had some bananas that desperately needed to be used - so banana muffin recipe here I come....and thanks to my never ending pinterest problem, I didn't even have to look past my own The Eats board.  This recipe was calling my name, rather loudly because I hadn't had my coffee yet, so kudos to you recipe. ;)
 Oh....now I want a kudos bar.  I've never actually had one, but a girl in my gradeschool class to always bring one....she was the most quiet and nicest girl you'd ever meet, and she always eat the top off of the entire bar first, that way no one could talk her into sharing it! :)  

You might want to eat the top off of these muffins first too ;)

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
What's In It:
3 large ripe bananas
1/3 c unsweetened applesauce
1 c all purpose flour
1/4 c ground oats*
1/2 t cream of tartar
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 T butter, softened
1/2 c brown sugar
2 egg whites
1/2 t vanilla extract
1/2 c plus 2 T peanut butter**

What To Do With It:
 Preaheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Line a muffin tin with liners (or if you don't have any like me, just grease your pan well - my tin is OLD and I didn't have any sticking issues).

Cream butter and sugar.  Add egg whites, bananas, applesauce, 1/2 c peanut butter, and vanilla.  Mix well.  

Add cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.  Then add oats and flour.  Mix on low speed just until combined.

Pour 1/2 mixture into bottom of muffin tins.  Divide 2 T peanut butter among the tins (I was thinking of next time maybe trying to add some homemade jam!!).  Cover with remaining batter.  

Bake on center rack for approximately 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean (account for the extra peanut butter when checking for "doneness" - it might show up on your toothpick.)

*I used a my trusty cheap coffee grinder from Aldi that I got years ago, but you could use a blender, food processor, or a mortar and pestle also.  You could also just use an extra 1/4c flour, the I think you'd loose something in the texture department.
**I used creamy but next time I will definitely use at least half crunchy.  The muffins would be out of this world if there were hidden peanut pieces in them!

1 comment: