Visit us on Hyena Cart

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Overnight Cinnamon Rolls

Do you want to wake up to amazing cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning?  Me too!!  Do you want to wake up 3 hours before everyone else in order to make that happen?  Me either!! 

These rolls are perfect!  Wolverine is in remission from his Cinnabon Addiction and these have helped him stay on the wagon. I think I only make them twice a year (once each for Ze-Ra and Wolverine's birthday) but they are so easy I could make them every weekend and not think twice.  

I know the recipe looks really long, but I tried to provide pretty clear directions...clear as mud anyway.  You should definitely give these a try - and if you do, let me know what you think!!  I'd love to hear it! 

Overnight Cinnamon Rolls

What's In It:
Dough:
4 lrg egg yolks, room temp
1 lrg whole egg, room temp
1/4 c sugar
6 T melted butter
3/4 c buttermilk*, room temp
4 c all purpose flour
2 1/4 t instant dry yeast (1 package)
1 1/4 t salt
1 T oil
Filling**:
1 1/2 c packed brown sugar
1 1/2 T cinnamon
Pinch of salt
2 T butter, melted
Icing:
3oz cream cheese
3 T milk
1 1/2 c powdered sugar

What To Do With It:
Whisk egg yolks, whole egg, sugar, butter, and buttermilk.  Add approximately half of the flour with the yeast and salt.  Continue whisking until combined.  Remove the whisk attachment and replace with the dough hook.  Add remaining flour and knead on low speed for 5 minutes.  Dough should be soft and moist but not sticky.  Add more flour if necessary.  Knead on low 5 more minutes.  Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and fold over on itself a few times.  Oil the mixing bowl with the oil.  Return the dough to the bowl, cover, and allow to sit until double in volume, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Combine the sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.  Set aside until ready to use.

Butter a 9x13 glass baking dish.  Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Gently shape the dough into a rectangle with the long side facing you.  Roll into an 18x12" rectangle.  Brush dough with the melted butter, leaving a 1/2" border on the edge furthest from you.  Sprinkle filling mixture over the dough, leaving a 3/4" border on the edge furthest from you.  Gently Press the filling down into the dough.

Beginning at the long edge nearest you, roll the dough into a tight cylinder.  Firmly pinch the seam to seal and roll the cylinder seam side down.  If necessary, very gently squeeze the cylinder to create an even thickness.

Using a very sharp knife, cut the cylinder into 1 1/2" rolls, this will yield 12 rolls.  I do not measure the thickness of my rolls.  I just cut the cylinder in half, then each half in half, then each quarter into thirds.  I now have 4 sections of 3 pieces and that's 12...wow math is great! :)

Arrange rolls (place end pieces cut side down) in baking dish.  Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator overnight or up to 16 hours.

Prepare Icing by whisking the cream cheese until smooth and then adding vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk. I make this the day I make the rolls and store in the fridge.

When ready to bake: Remove the icing from the fridge, remove the lid, and place on stove or other warm area.  Remove the rolls from the refrigerator, remove plastic wrap, and place in the oven (the oven is off).  Fill a shallow pan about 2/3 full with boiling water and set on the rack below the rolls.  Close the oven door and allow the rolls to rise until they look slightly puffy - approximately 30 minutes.  Remove both pans from the oven.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Bake rolls until golden brown, usually about 30 minutes.

Allow rolls to cool just slightly and then drizzle with icing.

*I make my own buttermilk and just take 1 T of lemon juice per 1 scant c of milk.  Allow it to sit for about 10 minutes and then use just as you would buttermilk.

**If you'd like to adjust the filling ingredients, I have done so and it has not affected the outcome.  I've changed the sugar volume, I've added nuts, etc.  Make them your own!

I hate it when the recipe is photo heavy, so here's a list of the photos below:
 After rising
 Rolled Out
 With Filling
Rolled Up
 Sliced
Pretty! 

I don't have a photo of them baked - we got so excited...we ate them all for Ze-Ra's birthday breakfast when we were in Atlanta. I'm making them Christmas morning, so I'll have a picture then....but if you make them before then, send me a pic and I'll put it up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment