Visit us on Hyena Cart

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Get your Green On!

Ah Guacamole...how I love thee.  Let me count the ways.....

Guacamole is hands down the dish that I am most frequently disappointed with when I go out to eat.  I don't go out to eat very often, I think once every 2 months is about all it happens, but when I do, I have just stopped ordering guacamole - it just isn't worth it.    

Ze-Ra LOVES to go out to eat.  I did too as a kid, it's just the novelty of it.  Now all I see it as is having to wait longer for our food, entertaining kids while we are hungry and trying to be quiet, and having mediocre food that is too expensive.  Wow...that seems like it should be followed up with a Bah Humbug! 

When what I'm really trying to say is: Good food happens at home.  

Guacamole

What's In It:
2 avocados
1 can rotel, drained
1/2 c onion, finely diced
1 lime, juiced
1/4 t garlic powder, heaping
1 t salt
1 chipotle pepper, in adobo sauce (optional)*

What To Do With It:
Place rotel into a mesh strainer and allow to drain while you do the rest of the prep.  

Remove the pit from the avocados, peel, and place in a medium bowl.  

Add the remaining ingredients and mash avocado with a fork until desired consistency.  

Stir in the rotel.  If using chipotle pepper, finely dice and stir in.  

Cover with plastic wrap - to minimize browning, I place the plastic wrap against the surface of the guacamole.  

Allow to rest for a few hours for flavors to incorporate.  

*I normally add the chipotle pepper, I think the flavor and the heat are both better with it, but Te-Man isn't a fan of super spicy (thought he eats spicier things than I thought he would), so for now, we leave it out or add it in at the table. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment