Visit us on Hyena Cart

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Cream of Celery

Not your most coveted soup I'm sure, but when you grew up with my family and you have the amazing Sandy's Casserole on the menu - living life without Cream of Celery soup is not an option.

Just as with the Cream of Mushroom Soup....I can not believe I waited so long to make this!  YUM!

Cream of Celery Soup

What's In It:
1/2 c onion
2 2/3 c celery (I just used an entire bunch, but measured it in case you wanted to be exact)
1/2 c flour
3 c milk
2 c water*
1 t poultry seasoning*
1/4 t garlic powder*
1/2 t onion powder*
2 t salt
1 1/2 t pepper
1/2 c parmesan cheese
4 T butter
2 T cornstarch (optional)**

What To Do With It:
Saute onions and celery in the butter in a large pot over medium heat with all of the seasonings.  Blend with an immersion blender, or a regular one.  You might need to add a bit of your water at this point to help your blender.  That's no problem, just add the smallest possible amount from your already measured water.  Return blended vegetables to your pot.  Add flour, cornstarch (if using), and parmesan cheese and stir into a paste.  Add water and boil for 10 minutes.  Add milk and heat through.
  
*I made three types of soups in one day and ran out of chicken broth, so I had to make some quick and dirty "broth".  If you have chicken broth, I'd use that and then adjust the salt as necessary
**Adding the cornstarch makes it more of a condensed soup thickness instead of an eating soup.  

No comments:

Post a Comment