Visit us on Hyena Cart

Friday, December 21, 2012

Pimento Cheese

Our Granny lived in Oklahoma City when we were growing up and we lived in rural Central Illinois and then even more rural Southern Illinois.  We would make the drive to see her at least twice a year and that 8-10 hour car ride (depending on how many times Hit Girl and I would make Super Dad begrudgingly stop for potty breaks) was torture at first, but after so many years it became almost nostalgic....well as much as a car ride can be for someone that gets so car sick. :)  

There was always a crazy amount of food to eat at Granny's house.  In fact, it seemed that we almost planned our trip around where or what we were going to eat while we were there.  One thing that was sure to be on the list was pimento cheese.  I don't remember much about it because I was not a fan....but Super Man on the other hand would get himself the container and sleeve of Ritz and he was happy. 

It wasn't until this past June when the Z-Squad was smack in the middle of our 3 week camping trip that Wolverine suggested we have Pimento Cheese.  I was reluctant, I mean isn't it just orange weird tasting cottage cheese?  Well, apparently the 10 year old me and the 30 year old me have different palates.  WOW - it was delicious!

Hmmm....I smell a challenge. :)  I would say that 99% of the time when I purchase something I ask myself....could I make this?  Quickly followed by...could I make this better?  

Yes....Yes I can. :) 
Be sure to serve it with some "Ritz" crackers
Pimento Cheese

What's In It:
10oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 4oz jars pimentos, drained
1/2 t powdered mustard
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t garlic salt
1 t horseradish sauce
1/2 t steak sauce
2 1/2 T mayo (I use Duke's)

What To Do With It:
Mix together, process using a food processor to desired consistency.


No comments:

Post a Comment