Visit us on Hyena Cart

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Puttin' On the Ritz

Ah...the elusive butter cracker.  The cheez and graham were no problem....but the butter cracker was close to becoming my nemesis 
Wiley Kat can testify to the terribleness that was the last buttery cracker I attempted.  It was horrific.  Ugh. I don't even want to think about it....the stuff of nightmares.

These on the other hand....WOW! I will be making these again, for sure!

Homemade Ritz 
What's In It:
2 c flour
2 t cream of tartar
1 t baking soda
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt + 1/2 t salt for top
6 T cold butter (sliced into thin pats) + 3 T melted butter for top
2 T oil
1/3-2/3 c water 

What To Do With It:
Preheat oven to 400 degress F.
The original recipe calls for a food processor, but since I haven't bought a new one to break yet, I used my mixer.  Do what'ch'ya feel.  
Combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, sugar, and salt.  
Beat in butter. 
Beat in vegetable oil.  
Add water a little bit at a time.  Once the dough started to look pretty sticky, I stopped. I only added 1/3c.  
On a floured surface, roll out dough as thin as you can.  I'd say it was nearly 1/8". 
Cut the dough into desired shape/size.  I'm boring and used a pizza cutter.  Do what'ch'ya feel.
Poke holes in each cracker.
Transfer to a lined cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until they just begin to brown.
Combine melted butter with 1/2 t salt.  Brush tops of crackers as soon as they come out of the oven. 
Cool on wire rack.

YAY for buttery crackers!!!

I think these bad boys are going to beg me to become the topping to a Sandy's Casserole very soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment