Visit us on Hyena Cart

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Bread & Butter Pickles

What to do when Produce Guy gives you almost 7 pounds of cucumbers?  Make Bread & Butter Pickles!!!

I didn't want to go to the trouble of canning the pickles, so I searched through my recipe box until I found this one.  I've had it in my box for awhile now....and I'm not sure where it came from, but if it is you....thank you!

The pickles are crunchy and the flavor is spot on.  The only "complaint" I might have is that I wish I'd have given the cucumbers a second rinse because the brine was slightly saltier than I'd like - that being said...it was only noticeable when eaten plain.

I have eaten these on a hot dog and in potato salad - both....spot on!

Bread & Butter Pickles
What's In It:
4 lb pickling cucumbers, cut into 1/4" slices
1 lrg onion, thinly sliced
6 T pickling salt
4-5 c crushed ice
1 1/2 c sugar
3 c cider vinegar
2 T mustard seeds
2 t celery seeds
1 t ground ginger

What To Do With It:
Toss cucumbers, onions, and salt together.  Layer in a large non-metalic bowl alternately with the ice, ending with ice.  Weigh down with a heavy plate.  Chill overnight.
In non-reactive pot (I used an enameled cast iron dutch oven) combine sugar, vinegar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, and ginger.  Boil for 3 minutes, remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.
Remove any un-melted ice from the cucumbers and drain.  Rinse thoroughly, twice.
Pack cucumbers and onions into mason jars (I used 5 pint size).  
Pour pickling brine over the cucumbers.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment