Visit us on Hyena Cart

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Turkey Noodle Dumpling Soup

It was 80....80!!! this past weekend and then the past three days it has been raining and about 50 degrees.  I'm not complaining, other than the blizzard in Southern Illinois over Christmas, this is about as close to winter weather as we've seen this season.

What better food to celebrate the chill in the air (if you can call 50 chilly) than soup.  I brought home some left over turkey from Christmas and I've been saving it for just this occasion.

Why is it called Noodle Dumpling soup?  Well, I have these dumpling noodles from the Mennonite market and I've been wanting to try them for probably over a year.  You know what that tells me?  I do not make chicken/turkey and dumplings nearly enough.  Now that I think about it, I think I only made it once when I was a sophomore in college and it was a colossal disaster.  I need to step up to the plate and give homemade dumplings another go.  But in the mean time, these noodle dumplings were fantastic!  I had noodle dumplings once in high school and these were even better!

Let's just get to it shall we - I already had 2 humongous bowls, but I might want another one after I'm finished typing this. Just kidding, I'm stuffed, but if I had room, I'd eat some more for sure! ;)

Turkey Noodle Dumpling Soup
What's In It:
1 1/2 c Carrots, sliced about 1/4-1/2"
1 c Celery, sliced about 1/4-1/2"
1 medium Onion, diced
2 heads garlic, roasted and smashed
3/4 t poultry seasoning*
1 t salt*
1/2 t mustard powder
1/2 t onion powder
1 t pepper
8 Small Red Potatoes, about 1 - 1 1/2 lb
1 1/2 c Turkey or Chicken, cooked and diced or shredded
2 T Butter
6 c Water*
8 oz Noodle Dumplings
1 1/2 c Milk

What To Do With It:
Saute carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in butter over medium heat for a few minutes or until fragrant.
Add spices and cook a few minutes longer.
Add potatoes and water.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer approximately 20 minutes or until potatoes are just less than tender.
Add noodle dumplings and cook according to package directions (I stopped about 2 minutes short just so the noodles didn't fall apart when I stirred the soup).
Add milk and meat - heat through.  Adjust seasonings if necessary.

*I didn't have any broth on hand, so I had to improvise.  If you have broth, omit the poultry seasoning and salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment