Visit us on Hyena Cart

Friday, January 4, 2013

Broccoli & Cheese Quinoa Casserole

So...it's official.  I'm on the quinoa band wagon.  I didn't want to be - it seems like something I would run screaming into the hills from....all hip and trendy...I mean heck, I'm not gonna lie, I still pronounce it wrong in my head.  But it is so good!

Couldn't you make this recipe with Rice and would it be delicious?   Yes - I'm sure you could.  But there is something about quinoa, maybe it's the "nuttiness" (or maybe that's just me), maybe it's the unique texture it brings to a dish, maybe it's just because I get bored in the kitchen - I don't know....but I do know that this stuff is fantastic!  We had it for dinner a few nights ago, I then had it for lunch yesterday, and I'm planning on finishing it up for lunch today unless Wolverine snags it first. :)

If you haven't given quinoa a try, this might be a good introductory dish...you get all the familiar comforts of broccoli and rice casserole but with a little twist.
Broccoli & Cheese Quinoa Casserole
What's In It:
1 1/2 c stock
3/4 c quinoa
1 can cream of broccoli soup or 1 recipe of Homemade Cream of Broccoli Soup
2 T milk
1/3 c sour cream
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
2 c cooked broccoli, chopped
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c parmesan cheese

What To Do With It:
Bring stock and quinoa to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until all moisture is absorbed into the quinoa.  
Combine broccoli soup, milk, sour cream, and seasonings in a bowl.  Add broccoli, cheese, and quinoa. 
Pour into a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Bake at 400 degrees F for approximately 40 minutes or until top is starting to brown.  

No comments:

Post a Comment