Visit us on Hyena Cart

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Chocolate Doughnuts, yes please!

While visiting with Super Mom, I noticed that she had a few doughnut pans lying around and I have always wanted to use some!  Isn't it weird what we will and won't spend money on - apparently doughnut pans is firmly in the will not category seeing as how I've wanted some for years and haven't done a darn thing about it.  Well....this might have changed that. :)
WOW!  These were fantastic! They were definitely not fried, but with all of the flavor and texture going on in these, I didn't miss it one bit.
Maybe you're cutting back on fried goods this year or maybe you're not, but either way add these to your breakfast to-make list....even if you have to borrow a pan or two. :)

Fudgy Baked Doughnuts
What's In It: 

2/3 c cocoa
1 3/4 c all purpose flour
1 1/4 c brown sugar*
1 t baking powder
3/4 t espresso powder (optional, I didn't use this, but only because I didn't have any) 
1 t baking soda
3/4 t salt
1 c chocolate chips*
2 lrg eggs
3/4 c milk
2 t vanilla
2 t vinegar, white or cider
1 c melted butter or 1/3 c veg oil (I used butter)

Chocolate Icing:
1 c chocolate chips
3 T Half & Half or Cream (I used cream)

Sugar Topping
2 T sugar
1 t cocoa

What To Do With It:
Preheat oven to 350 degress F.  Lightly grease 2 standard doughnut pans.

Whisk together cocoa, flour, sugar, baking powder, espresso (if using), baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips. 

In a bowl or in a 2 c measuring cup, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and vinegar.

Add wet ingredients and butter, to the dry ingredients.  Stirring to blend.  No need to beat the batter, but mix to combine.     

Spoon batter into pans, filling 3/4 full.  

Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Allow to cool in the pan for a minute or so, then loosen edges and turn out onto a wire rack.  

If using a sugar coating, shake doughnuts in sugar mixture immediately - I would use a plastic container and gently "shake".  

 If using icing, allow to cool completely - or about 50% of the way, like we did.  

While cooling, melt chocolate chips with cream.  I did this over very low heat in a small sauce pan on the stove, just use your preferred method. 

To ice the doughnuts, you can use a knife or I just dunked the top half of the doughnut upside down into the icing.  

I was thinking these would be divine with some crushed peanuts on top! YUM! 

*Super Dad is a diabetic, so I used a sugar substitute and sugar free chocolate chips.  I think the only issue this caused was that the doughnuts needed to be eaten the day they were baked, the next day they were a little dry.  Oh what a problem....I have to eat them right away....like I needed an excuse! :)  

1 comment:

  1. Making these this weekend! Not commenting on your site again. I can't stand the captcha.

    ReplyDelete