Visit us on Hyena Cart

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Mel's Potato Soup

What is better after a long day than a steamy bowl of soup that with every bite you ask yourself why you don't make it more often!?  This is that soup.  I only make it two or three times a year, but when I do, I eat it non-stop until it's gone.

I LOVE this soup!
Mel's Potato Soup

What's In It:
1 medium onion, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
2 T butter
2 c broth
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 t sugar
1 t salt
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t dried rosemary
1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 t pepper
1/3 c flour
2 1/2 c milk
1 c cubed ham or bacon (optional)

What To Do With It:
Saute onion and celery in butter.  Add broth, potatoes, sugar, and seasonings.  Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.

Combine flour with 1/2 c milk until smooth in consistency - I shake mine in a small plastic container.  Add flour/milk mixture to soup.  Return to a boil and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Add remaining milk and meat if using, heat through.

I usually serve this with a nice artisan bread and a salad.  I've also eaten it with a little shredded cheddar on top - it's not required, but it sure is pretty. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment