Visit us on Hyena Cart

Monday, January 7, 2013

Dehydrated Marshmallows

I don't know if they are magic, but they sure are delicious. :)

To go with our Grape Nut post this morning, I thought I'd throw in some tasty crunchy marshmallows.  I sometimes feel guilty that my kids don't get to eat the cool fun cereal at the store.  I'll buy it a few times a year, but sometimes I worry that they get teased about the food they eat.  This can't/won't stop the teasing, but it can make them feel like their mom is a little less crazy. :)

Now, the next step will be me making homemade marshmallows (I can't believe I haven't done that yet!!!) to dehydrate - that will be something I can feel good about. :)


Dehydrated Marshmallows
What's In It:
1 bag miniature marshmallows

What To Do With It:
Spread marshmallows onto dehydrator trays.  I used 2 trays just to make sure they weren't over crowded.  

Dehydrate at 160 degrees F for 12 hours or until desired crunchiness. The temperature does not have to be exact, so if yours has a higher temp, that would work but would take less time.  Also, if your dehydrator doesn't go to 160 degrees, you could always use a lower temp, but it will take longer.

These are so fun - the kids love them and sometimes I'll throw them into a trail mix just for a surprise. :) 


8 comments:

  1. I made homemade marshmallows for Christmas. What a great idea to dehydrate them for a snack or to drop in cereal. About how big are they once dehydrated???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, I am so excited that you made homemade marshmallows...I know I'm just going to have to do it one day, but it is a little daunting!

    I used the miniature marshmallows that you can buy at the store and they actually didn't change size much at all. They may have gained a few wrinkles and dents, but I was quite surprised when I checked on them and they looked like I'd just put them in there!

    If you use homemade, I'm guessing they might shrink a little more because they don't have all of the preservatives...you might also find that they don't take as long - maybe all the horrible chemicals in the store bought ones prolong the process.

    Let me know if you use the homemade ones - or store bought for that matter ;) - I'd love to know how they turn out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make homemade marshmallows quite a bit. Never thought of dehydrating them though. Will they store just as long as store bought? I actually have some I made a few days ago. I might just throw them in today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shanda, I can not speak for homemade marshmallows, but the store bought ones I dehydrated in December are still good. :-)
      Good luck and let me know how they turn out! :-)

      Delete
  4. I am trying this today. I want to add them to my homemade hot cocoa mix. Thanks for the info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheri - that is a GENIUS idea! Thank you for sharing! :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm dehydrating some right now!! :) oober excited to see how they turn out!! Also doing mine for homemade coco..I'm using the small mixed color and the large smores flavored!! My house smells amazing right now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just picked up 9 bags of peppermint marshmallows at walmart. Yeh Christmas flavors. In my 9 tray dehydrator as we speak.

    ReplyDelete