Visit us on Hyena Cart

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Venison (or Beef) Pot Pie

The weather here in NC is a little bit like it was in the midwest....if you don't like it, wait a day or two and it will change. :)

That's so true here!  It was 70 degrees on Monday and then Tuesday it was 45.  What the heck is that?!  Well, with weather like that all I want is pot pie.  The Super Parents are coming this weekend and they are staying for week!!!  YAY!!!  They are bringing some venison to replenish the dwindling supply in my freezer, so I thought I'd go ahead and use the last coveted package of venison chops - I'd been saving it, but knowing more is coming makes me feel better about using it. :)  Oh...did I mention how amazing my parents are?!  :)

This was phenomenal.  Ze-Ra almost burned her mouth because she was too impatient to let it cool.  Even Te-Man was getting in on the "mmmm's". I ate enough to feed a horse - which is about how hungry I was yesterday. :)

This recipe makes 2 pot pies, but it would be easy to half the recipe if you aren't interested in making such a large amount. :)

Venison Pot Pie
What's In It:
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 lb venison, cubed
2 lb potatoes, diced
1 lb mushrooms, diced
1 lrg onion, diced
24 oz mixed frozen veggies, thawed
2 carrots, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
1 t onion powder
1 t garlic salt
1 t poultry seasoning
1/2 t mustard powder
2 t steak sauce
1 t pepper
1 t worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
6 c water
1/4 c corn starch

4 9" pie crusts

What To Do With It:
In a large pot, heat oil over medium high heat.  Sear meat on all sides.  Add 3 c water and spices.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered for 90 minutes.  Remove bay leaves.  Add 2 c water and potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery.  Bring back to a boil, reduce heat, and then simmer for 30 minutes or until veggies have reached desired tenderness.  Stir in mushrooms and mixed vegetables.  
In a small container, shake 1 c water and corn starch until smooth.  Stir into stew mixture and simmer until desired thickness is reached.  

Roll out 2 pie crusts to approximate shape of baking dishes (I used an oblong 10x7 and a rectangular 11x8).  Place one pie crust in the bottom of each baking dish.  

Pour half of the stew mixture into each dish.

Top with remaining pie crusts.*    

Bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees F. 

*At this point I freeze one for later use.  If I remember, I allow it to thaw in the fridge the day I am going to cook it - but either way, I tent it with tin foil for the first 20-25 minutes and increase the baking time by at least 20 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment