Visit us on Hyena Cart

Friday, January 4, 2013

Cream of Broccoli Soup

Can I just say that I LOVE making my own Cream of ____ Soups?  It might not be as easy as just opening a can that is already in my cupboard, but it really only takes about 20 minutes and how can I complain about taking an extra 20 minutes to make something for my family that is of course chemical free but also, really darn good?

I can tell you this, I would never open a can of Cream of Anything and just happily eat it with a spoon, but this soup almost didn't make it into the Broccoli and Cheese Quinoa Casserole it was intended for.  It almost made a detour into my tummy. :)

Cream of Broccoli Soup

What's In It:
2 T butter
1/4 c flour (I have used whole wheat and white)
1/2 c stock*
1/2 c milk
1/2 t salt**
1/2 t pepper
1/2 c finely chopped broccoli 

What To Do With It:
Melt butter in small sauce pan over medium heat, add broccoli and saute until tender - this won't take long.  Reduce heat slightly, add flour, and stir until thick paste formed.  Add stock and whisk until smooth.  Whisk in milk and seasonings.  Continue to simmer gently until desired thickness.  

This will replace one 14oz can of condensed soup.  

*I have used vegetable and chicken stock for this recipe.  I have also used just water flavored with approximately 1/4 t garlic powder, 1/4 t onion powder, heaping 1/4 t poultry seasoning, and any other seasonings that catch my eye that day.
**If you are using a high sodium stock, be sure to taste it before you add the salt.  I might not need the full 1/2 t.

No comments:

Post a Comment