Visit us on Hyena Cart

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Montessori Button Snake

I saw these on pinterest forever ago and I've been making them for about a year now I guess.  They are super simple and super cute!

The idea is that kids can practice their buttoning skills on something other than their pants or shirts (really it is unfortunate how infrequently most kids wear button down shirts these days).  I was also thinking you could make different color games out of them, different hues of the same color, teach the rainbow, etc.

I have made a few of these, and a few snap-a-zoos as well, and I'm going to be sending some to my cousin who is a physical therapist - I was thinking that it might be fun and different for the little ones that they help.

Montessori Button Snake

What's In It:
Felt
Ribbon
Button
Thread/Needle

What To Do With It:
Cut your felt into squares of any shape you desire.  I went with 1 1/2" squares, but I think some shamrocks, hearts, stars, pumpkins, etc would be awesome! 

Fold each piece of felt in half and snip a slit in the center of each piece of felt.  No specific size, just make sure the ribbon can easily fit through.

Cut ribbon to desired length.  I find that including the snake tale, about 10" is good.

Sew a button onto one end of the ribbon.

Thread felt on the ribbon.

Sew the last piece of felt to the ribbon in a coordinating thread color. Alternately, you could sew a second button on instead.  

No comments:

Post a Comment