Visit us on Hyena Cart

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Bacon Wrapped Venison

Being in the military has meant that we are not as geographically close to our families as we would like.  This also means that we aren't able to make it home during the deer seasons and therefore we need to rely on Super Dad to harvest enough Venison for us too.  So far, this hasn't been an issue for him as he is an amazing outdoorsman - seriously...you have a question, he's got the answer or he'll find it!

I love experimenting with recipes, but the Venison is so precious to me I'm hesitant to branch out and try something that I don't like and then have "wasted" the meat.  This is not a problem, however, because this simple recipe is a tried and true always delicious recipe that I have no problem going back to time, after time, after time!

Bacon Wrapped Venison
What's In It:
1 lb venison chops or venison loin
1/2 lb bacon
1 lrg onion, sliced
Salt & Pepper
Worcestershire sauce

What To Do With It:

If using chops, remove the connective tissue (this isn't mandatory, but can be tough and chewy if you don't remove it).  
I have found the best way to do this is either 1. When the meat is still partially frozen, slice off using a very sharp knife or 2. Just pull it off with your hands.  I usually opt for option 2, it makes me feel like I'm a cavewoman and I think it's just easier.  Just be careful that you don't pull off meat with the tissue. 

If using a loin, slice into 2 in slices. 
Wrap each piece of venison with a slice of bacon.  You can either wrap around the sides or over the top.  I like to wrap over the top so the flavor (aka fat) drips down into the venison.  Tuck venison into a baking dish (I can usually get away with using an 8x8).  

Season liberally with Salt and Pepper.

Splash each venison piece with some Worcestershire sauce.

Cover with sliced onions.  

Bake uncovered at 400 degrees F for 30-45 minutes depending on thickness and desired doneness.  

No comments:

Post a Comment