Visit us on Hyena Cart

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Crock Pot Pork Shoulder

When I can't have real smoked pulled pork, this is the next best thing.  It is equally delicious on a roll or just on a fork. :)

Crock Pot Pork Shoulder
What's In It:
3 lb pork shoulder
3/4 c your favorite bbq rub*
3 T molasses
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
1/2 c brown sugar

What To Do With It:
Lay out two long sheets of plastic wrap next to each other, overlapping slightly.  Place a pile of the rub in the center of the plastic wrap and spread out to the approximate shape o the shoulder.  Set the shoulder on top of the rub.  Rub generously with remaining rub.  I find the best way to do this is to just pile it on the top and then rub it around.  I then hold my hand at an angle next to the shoulder and kind of "splash/pat" the rub onto the sides. You'll figure it out - just get that bad boy covered.  

Wrap the plastic wrap around the shoulder and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, place the unwrapped shoulder into a slow cooker with the fat side up (this allows the fat to drip down and flavor the meat as it cooks).  Drizzle the molasses over the top of the roast.  Sprinkle the roast with brown sugar.  Add the vinegar. I "sprinkle" the vinegar with my fingers onto the roast.  I don't want to pour it and risk the sugars running off.  Do what'ch'ya feel. 

Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Shred and serve with fav sauce or just use the ever so tasty juice.   

* I, unfortunately, am a pour it in and give it a sniff kind of girl.  I don't ever measure.  This whole keeping track thing is new for me.  I currently am using a jar of rub that I made up awhile back.  So...I don't have a recipe, but I can tell you the contents and you can wing it. :)
Chili Powder
Garlic
Onion Powder
Salt
Pepper
Mustard Powder
Poultry Seasoning
Tomato Powder (when I have it)
Paprika

Combine and mix in a mason jar.  I keep this around so I can use it on anything from chicken to pork - I even use it when I make oven fries.  I used to put brown sugar in the rub, but since I keep it for so long, it gets clumpy and it makes me cranky, so I just add it when I use it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment