Visit us on Hyena Cart

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Too many free Veggies?

NEVER!

I might have a freezer stocked full of nicely prepared and bagged vegetables and I might have an entire cart full of beautiful home canned goods, and I might have a friend down the street that is learning to love green beans  but I also have extra cash in my pocket, a feeling of happiness and gratitude that I am preventing perfectly good food from going to waste, and I have the ability to feed my family nutritious and delicious food!

Like this stew I made on Sunday.  The only items in the stew I paid for were the meat, peas, and the ingredients to make the bread. NICE!
Beef Stew
What's In It:
1 lb beef (I used kabob meat, but it's your choice)
2 c corn 
2 c green beans
1 1/2 c peas
1 c carrots, diced
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 qt tomato soup*
1 1/2 c chicken broth
1 t poultry seasoning
1 t garlic salt
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t onion powder
Diced green onions to garnish

What To Do With It:
Sear the meat.
Cut meat into bite size (or whatever size you want) chunks.
If using canned vegetables, drain them.  
Pour everything, except the green onions, into the crockpot and stir to combine. 
Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours.  

Serve with a warm and crusty loaf of bread - like this one that we can't get enough of.


*Be sure to use a good quality soup here.  I use homemade from Super Mom, but a really nice store bought would be good to.  It's the main base of the soup so it's kind of like choosing a wine to cook with, if you don't like the wine, you won't like the sauce...same deal here. 


No comments:

Post a Comment