Visit us on Hyena Cart

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Mama might have some flat doughnuts -

Mama might have some flat doughnuts.....but her biscuits sure ain't!


With all of that hiking ahead of us, I figured we could use a substantial breakfast. :)  Wolverine found this recipe about a year ago now I guess and we might not have biscuits very often, but when we do, we use this recipe.  Just note, if you insist on rolling out your dough too thin, you will have very thin biscuits :(  Be sure that when you think it's still too thick - you STOP! :)  This batch is even a little thinner than I like and I think I rolled it out to about a 1/2", so it'd go with 3/4" next time.  

You'll also notice that my biscuits are square.  That's for 2 reasons.  
1. I don't have a biscuit cutter.  I know I could use a glass, but I just don't want to.  
2.  This is the main reason: Why would I use a round cutter and then have to re-roll all the scraps and risk wasting dough?  I just use a pizza cutter and cut them into squares and then pat up the edges to make sure that they are even all the way across.  Win. Win.  


Square Biscuit Recipe
What's In It:
2 1/4 c all purpose flour
3/4 t salt
1 t sugar
1/3 c cold butter
1 c cold milk

What To Do With It:
Preaheat oven to 450 degrees F.  

Cut butter into small pieces and return to refrigerator.

Place flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder in a food processor* or mixing bowl.  Pulse a few times or stir to combine.  

Add butter to flour mixture and if using a food processor, pulse until the butter is in pieces roughly the size of peas.  If you are mixing by hand, cut the butter in with a fork.

If using a food processor, put flour/butter mixture into a mixing bowl.

Add the cold milk.

Toss together gently until barely combined.  Do not over mix!

As soon as the dough holds together, turn it out onto a floured surface.  Fold the dough over on itself a few times until it is a mostly cohesive ball.**  

Roll the dough out until it is about 3/4" thick.  Use a biscuit cutter, glass, cookie cutter, pizza cutter, etc to cut out the biscuits.  You should get about 6.

Place the biscuits on a lined cookie sheet and bake for 8-10min.


*I used to use a food processor, but I have broken 3, 3!, of them in the past year, so I currently am without a food processor.  :(

**At this point you can wrap the dough in plastic wrap , toss it in the fridge, and use it later in the day or even the next day.  After you have rolled out the dough and cut the number of biscuits you need, you can also save any left overs in the same manner.  



No comments:

Post a Comment