Visit us on Hyena Cart

Friday, November 23, 2012

Pot Pie

I have made this using chicken, turkey, and even just veggies.  You can use any combination of vegetables and/or meat you'd like - just use roughly the same volume as it calls for in the recipe and you're all set.  I don't usually have "peas and carrots" so I just throw in some peas and some diced roasted carrots, sometimes I use a vegetable medley that has green beans, corn, peas, and carrots...just go crazy! :)

Every time I make this, the Z-Squad always comments on how we should have it more often....it even won a prize in a contest at my old job. :)  So this time, I made 2 and put one in the freezer. :)

Pot Pie
What's In It:
2 pie crusts
10oz pkg frozen peas and carrots* 
1/3 c butter
1/3 c flour
1/2 lrg onion, chopped
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
2 c chicken broth
2/3 c milk
1 c cooked chicken or turkey, shredded/diced

What To Do With It:
If using frozen vegetables, place in colander and rinse to separate, drain.  

Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat.  Saute onion for a few minutes.  Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.  Stir in broth and milk.  Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.  Boil for 3-5 minutes until sauce starts to thicken.  Stir in meat and vegetables, remove from heat.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Place one pie crust in the bottom of a 9x9 pan.  Pour vegetable mixture into pan.  Place remaining pie crust on top.  Turn edges of pastry under.
I still can't follow directions ;)
Bake about 35 minutes or until golden. 

*I always get a little generous with the veggies, usually adding an extra cup or so. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment