Visit us on Hyena Cart

Friday, November 23, 2012

Calzones

Last week I got a bunch spinach in my reclaimed produce.  We had so much lettuce, we didn't get a chance to eat it, so I steamed it and then froze it.  I figure that way, it's just like frozen spinach I'd get from the freezer section of the grocery store.  (Now that I think about it, my freezer is just about like the freezer section of the grocery store - haha).

Anyway, I've been itching to make Wolverine some feta and spinach something or other.  I'm not the biggest fan of the combo, but he is and I like to treat him every now and again.  I figured that between the free spinach and the free tomatoes, calzones were fate. :)  Problem: I'd never made calzones before. And I have yet to find my perfect pizza dough.  I mean I have a killer deep dish recipe that is AMAZING but I don't have a regular one.  So I thought, maybe I could just use my bread recipe.  I've heard of a similar bread recipe being used for calzones, so I figured....why not?! 
 
 I was pretty happy with how they turned out.  I definitely need practice on my pizza dough handling - that is a skill that I have not yet mastered. haha.   Look how ugly that poor guy is in the back!
I had Wiley Kat and her son over for dinner to help us eat the 8!! calzones I made - and their plates were clean, so I think it was a success! :)

Calzones
What's In It:
1 recipe artisan bread, prepared through the initial 5 hour rise
Pizza sauce
Fillings

What To Do With It:
Prepare all of your toppings and sauce while your dough is rising.  I used pepperoni, pork and fennel meatballs, onions, peppers, spinach, feta, and mozzarella cheese.  I wish I'd remembered about the olives in my fridge...but oh well.

"Divide" dough into 8 portions. Using WELL floured hands, pull out one portion of the dough and, using as much flour as you need, gently pull/stretch the dough into a circle.  I'd say my circles were about 10" in diameter.  You're going to want to make sure you have enough dough in the center of the circle and not all at the edges.  

Spread sauce on half of the circle to within about 3/4" from the edge.  Add desired fillings on top of sauce - I really loaded mine up and it worked just fine.  

Fold sauceless half over the top of the fillings and pinch along the 3/4" edge.  Carefully transfer to a lined cookie sheet.  
Repeat for as many calzones as desired*

Allow to rest for at least 40 minutes.  

Bake at 450 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.  I had 2 pans in the oven at once, so I rotated halfway through.  Also, if you're worried about the floury look on the top, just brush with some melted butter before baking.  
Serve with left over pizza sauce for dipping.  
*I made 8 with the intention of freezing whatever we didn't eat for future meals.  4 adults and 2 kids only ate 3 1/2. These guys are not messing around.  I have enough left overs for 2 more meals.  Not bad for one batch of dough and a whole lotta free veggies! 

No comments:

Post a Comment