Visit us on Hyena Cart

Monday, November 5, 2012

I didn't know I liked Cranberry Sauce

But this stuff is phenomenal!  Why did I only make a single batch?  Didn't I know I'd want to eat it on everything?!  Pork loin, stuffing, ice cream, graham crackers, cheesecake, a spoon. :)

I have a tendency to think I know better - just ask Super Mom ;)  Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.  I certainly didn't the first time I made Chicken and Dumplings and thought that Super Mom must be clearly unable to write out a recipe and the amount of flour the recipe called for was not nearly enough and surely must be tripled.  Well, let's just say I pretty much had this going on and no dinner:
In my defense, I was in college and when you're in college, your brain turns to mush.

Back to the sauce

I took a recipe from a great friend and also looked online at the consensus of fruit/liquid/sugar/gelatin ratios and decided to wing it.  We were taking a risk and I knew it...but I had purchased an almost 4lb bag of cranberries from Sam's, so I figured if it didn't work out, I could try again.  And if it did work out, then I could make a few more batches. Thankfully the cranberry sauce turned out PERFECT! :)  



Cranberry Sauce

What's In It:
12 oz cranberries.  I rinsed and froze mine in 12oz bags.  You can use frozen or fresh.
1/2 c pineapple juice
1/2 c orange juice - I used fresh squeezed because I had oranges hanging around b
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
1/4 c cold water
1 envelop Knox gelatin

What To Do With It:
Boil the cranberries in the orange and pineapple juice until they are all popped.
If desired (based on your consistency preference) run through a food mill.  I used this one*.
After you have reached your desired consistency, and while your fruit is still hot, add the sugars and the Knox gelatin.  Stir until dissolved, then add cold water.


Chill anything that is left over after everyone in your home has sampled it....5 times.  Also, if someone in your home happens to do a cranberry sauce covered face plant on a stuffed frog, wash immediately and it might not stain.  :)

*Direct Amazon Link I bought this over the summer and have used the heck out of it.  I am a pretty big fan and would say that for the price it is well worth it.  For this sauce, I used the mid sized texture disc.

No comments:

Post a Comment