Visit us on Hyena Cart

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Greens

I am a midwestern girl through and through.  But (and please avert your eyes if you prefer not to curse) damn greens are GOOD!

I had never had them until Wolverine requested them a few years back.  I was a little intimidated at cooking something he loved that I have never tasted - how would I know if it was seasoned correctly?   Well, I just decided to throw caution to the wind, find a recipe, doctor it up, and see where we landed.  Well, we landed smack in the middle of scrumptious.

Greens
What's In It:
1 lrg bunch of greens*
1/4 lb bacon, diced
1/2 lrg onion, diced
1 t garlic salt
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t poultry seasoning
1/4 t sage
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t mustard powder
1/3 c white vinegar
8 c water**

What To Do With It:
Over medium-low heat, brown the bacon.  Once it is about 2/3 done, add in the onion.
While the bacon is cooking, rinse and de-rib the greens.  The easiest way to do this is to fold the leaf in half along the rib while holding it upside down in your hand and just tear the leaf away from the rib all the way down.

Slice the greens.  I usually take a handful of greens and kind of roll them into a log shape.  I then slice them into inch strips or so.  Then I go back and cut them lengthwise down the middle because I hate taking a bite of greens and having a 6 inch strip hanging from my fork.

Once onions are translucent, add in spices.  Stir to coat the bacon and onions.  Stir in vinegar and increase the heat to high.

Once the vinegar is boiling, add in the greens, and cover.  Allow to cook for about 2-3 minutes and then add in the water.

Leave at a rolling boil with the lid half on for about 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.  After a good majority of the water has boiled off, reduce to a simmer for at least an hour, but you could simmer longer adding more water as necessary until the rest of your dinner is ready.


*Mine was just under 2lb prior to de-ribbing
**If you prefer to use chicken stock, you could probably leave out most of the seasonings.

No comments:

Post a Comment